We’ve all heard the saying “it’s the thought that counts.” And good manners dictate that we should put our very best thoughts into our thank yous to the kind hostesses who open up their homes and hearts to us during the holiday season. Follow our guide below to select the perfect gift for your next holiday party.
1. What should you spend on a gift? A hostess gift is meant to be a token of your appreciation — it should be well within your budget. No good hostess wants you to spend more than you can afford, or spend more on her than she could afford to reciprocate if she came to an event at your invitation!
2. Is the gift you chose something the hostess can actually use, and more than once? So many of the quick holiday choices on easy-to-reach store shelves end up being things that no one really needs another one of. Funny ornaments and other small trinkets will likely have a brief life before hitting the trash or the donation bin. Consider selecting a gift the host or hostess is likely to actually use — ideally more than once!
3. Is your gift choice something the hostess actually enjoys or has a preference for?A gourmet sampler of coffee is a great gift . . . unless the recipient doesn’t drink coffee! While you may not know every hostess well enough to pick her favorite color out of a line up, it’s usually best to limit your gift selection to the things you do know about her. Consider asking friends of the hostess for ideas if you aren’t sure yourself!
4. Is the item you chose something that everyone is likely to be able to use? Sometimes it’s unavoidable and you don’t know much about your hostess. If so, ask yourself if the gift you’ve chosen is one that most people you know would use or like. This is a safe bet when selecting an appropriate hostess gift if you’re only passing acquaintances with the hostess (or just meeting her for the first time).
5. In addition to being functional, is there a “good thought” behind the gift itself? With all the options for holiday gifts available, why not embrace the spirit of the holiday season and choose one that’s sustainable, supports a good cause, and is meaningful? Purchase something environmentally friendly, fair trade, empowering to those who create it, or in support of your local artisans. In other words . . . consider giving her a Prosperity Candle gift!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
In the spirit of Women’s History Month, our thoughts are drawn to the many women who contribute to society in a myriad of ways while expecting nothing in return. They are hidden from view. Yet these women are transforming communities and making a positive difference in the world. They are unsung heroines.
March is about celebrating women… something we’re pretty excited about. There is so much to appreciate, so many barriers yet to topple, and so many amazing women to recognize for their accomplishments.
Ah, Valentine’s Day. Every year we look forward to it, but here’s the thing. Ever since Eve Ensler started One Billion Rising as part of her V-Day movement to end violence against women and girls, we’ve felt conflicted about this holiday.