Lime Cilantro Chicken (Tempeh) with Avocado Salsa
We love how festive this grilled dish tastes... with a hint of spice!
Pair your lime cilantro chicken (or tempeh) with a side of grilled bread, brown rice, or just with the avocado salsa which is incredibly flavorful. Remember to plan ahead for this one since it calls for some marinating.
Whether you have a grill or live somewhere seasonal, you can easily enjoy this dish year-round with our tips below for broiling in an oven. For a vegan option, simply substitute tempeh or extra firm tofu, and add an hour to the marinating time.
Total Time: 1.5 hours (1 hour prep, 30 mins to cook)
Yield: 4-6 servings
Ingredients for Chicken/Tempeh:
- 1.5 lb. boneless chicken breast, tempeh or extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 shallot, diced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes to taste
Ingredients for Avocado Salsa:
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 shallot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt to taste
- To create the marinade, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, garlic, cilantro, shallot, cumin, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Add chicken/tempeh/tofu and marinate for 1+ hours in refrigerator (if using tempeh or tofu, marinate at least 2 hours).
- Preheat grill, place marinated chicken/tempeh/tofu on grill, cover with excess marinade, and grill each side for 4-6 minutes.
- For the avocado salsa, blend cilantro, shallot, garlic clove, lime juice, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes and salt in a small bowl, then add avocado and gently toss.
- Top Cilantro Lime Chicken with fresh Avocado Salsa, and serve with a side of grilled bread or brown rice!
If using tofu, it is best to first press as much water out of the tofu using a tea towel and a couple heavy books. This will make it much easier to work with and allow the tofu to absorb the marinade.
The longer you marinate, the more flavor there is. We suggest marinating the chicken for at least 30 minutes (or an hour) and the tempeh/tofu for at least two hours.
If you don't have a grill (or the weather isn't cooperating), you can broil in your oven. Set the top shelf about 6" below the broiler, place chicken/tempeh/tofu in center in a shallow pan (deep enough to hold juices), and cook each side 4-6 minutes. Check to ensure fully cooked and let sit 2 minutes before serving.
The Culinary aromas we love:
We love citrus and cilantro so much, we created a handpoured candle to celebrate this culinary scent. Other favorites of ours are Lemongrass & Thyme, Ginger, Lemon & Saffron, and Basil & Mint. These make wonderful gifts for any foodie in your life.
Each Culinary Candle includes a recipe card matching its scent.
See the full Culinary Candle collection for more culinary inspiration.