Ginger, Lemon & Saffron Coconut Rice
We've always been ginger lovers, so of course we were excited to combine this delicious root with lemon and saffron!
This coconut rice side pairs wonderfully with almost any dish without being overpowering and is gluten-free. We love the gorgeous golden color it has and the subtle balancing of flavors. It is an adventurous change from the usual white rice and easy enough to pull together on a week night.
For a vegan option, simply substitute the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
Total Time: 25 minutes (5 mins prep, 20 mins to cook)
Yield: about 4-6 servings
- 3 cups Jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth if vegetarian)
- 1 ¾ - 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 10-15 threads of saffron
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp salt
- Rinse 3 cups of Jasmine rice with cold water, drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, ginger, saffron, turmeric, cumin, garlic salt and soy sauce. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 2-3 minutes over medium high heat.
- Add the rice, coconut milk and salt to the saucepan. Stir gently with a spoon. Allow to reach a full boil and stir gently once more. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover tightly with a lid.
- Rice will finish steaming in about 15 minutes. Lift lid, gently fluff with a fork and check that no liquid remains. Turn off heat, replace lid, and allow to sit for about 5-10 minutes or until ready to serve.
Saffron threads can be a bit expensive for how small they are, but one small jar can usually last for multiple dishes since they are so potent! Trader Joe's tends to have these in stock next to their spices. If you cannot find these, you can omit saffron from the recipe and you'll still have a great ginger lemon coconut rice!
The Culinary aromas we love:
We love ginger, lemon and saffron so much, we created a handpoured candle to celebrate this culinary scent. Other favorites of ours are Citrus & Cilantro, Lemongrass & Thyme, and Basil & Mint. These make wonderful gifts for any foodie in your life.
Each Culinary Candle includes a recipe card matching its scent.
See the full Culinary Candle collection for more culinary inspiration.