The Hidden Heroines Campaign
Earlier this summer our co-founder Siiri Morley was honored to be included in Fast Company’s list of 60 notable women in the League of Extraordinary Women, alongside champions of change like Hillary Clinton, Zainab Salbi, Christy Turlington, Cherie Blair, and Oprah. We love the emphasis of the piece on women investing in other women, as well as the idea of a network of women supporting and advancing each other’s causes.
So we decided to build on this “League” to highlight the stories of “Hidden Heroines.” We all know that thousands of women are working tirelessly to change other women’s lives and transform their communities all around us. We would like to use the new visibility we have with this Fast Company article and put it to good use by creating our own “league” of sorts. We want to put a spotlight on these “Hidden Heroines” who are working so hard yet rarely get the recognition for their contributions.
How to get involved
We are fortunate that our work connects us with so many organizations working to empower women through different avenues— like healthcare, economic development, advocacy, and education, for example. What unifies us is the passion, perseverance, bravery, and hard work of the women we encounter. We want this campaign to transcend any particular mission or social cause. It’s about celebrating the power and strength of women and girls everywhere.
Our first step with this campaign is a blog series that will, at first, be hosted on the Prosperity Candle blog. It is our hope that contributing partners will share these posts with their own audiences, and help us broaden the Hidden Heroines network.
Contributions can be sent to Liz@prosperitycandle.com, as either 3rd party submissions or nominations for an interview. The questions below are intended to serve as guidelines; not every contribution will fit them exactly. We invite you to choose the questions most relevant to the Heroine’s work or story. We also ask that you include her photo as well as your organization’s logo if you would like it to be included in the post.
Thoughts and feedback also welcome!
3 rd Party Submission Questions:
1) Please provide us with candidate’s background information & her mission/organization/impact. How do you know her? What makes her a Hidden Heroine?
2) Under which of the following would you categorize the candidate?
– activist –
– other ___________
3) How does her work or story impact others (or how has it impacted you/your organization?) Can you give a specific example?
4) How can others support her work or get involved? 5) Please share any additional information that makes this candidate remarkable.
1) Please describe your work/organization and its impact. How did it begin? 2) What influences or experiences inspired you to undertake this kind of work? 3) How does your work impact others (particularly women)? How does it impact you? 4) If you could share one message or call-to-action with the world, what would it be? 5) Under which of the following would you categorize yourself (feel free to pick more than one)
– activist –
– other ___________
6) Can you describe the vision of your work in a sentence? How do you maintain sight of your
7) What’s the most valuable lesson your work has taught you?
8) Can you share an experience where you encountered a challenge or tough lesson? How did it
affect you? How did you overcome it?
Comments will be approved before showing up.